We’ve all heard the saying, “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.”
Hell, even Beyoncé has an album titled Lemonade. It’s the new wave—flip the script, boss up. Basically make shit shake with what you’ve got.
The idea behind the concept is quite fascinating, and oftentimes, it can be motivating.
But, what happens when life gives you lemons, and that’s it? Like at best, I might be making some super tart lemon water, but lemonade – Nah.
Lately, that’s been my mood because If I’m being real, 2018 has given me quite a bit of lemons thus far. Some of those lemons were out of my control, but a lot of those lemons I brought upon myself because you know- I can’t get right.
Now the pessimist in me wants to ignore the lemons and hope that they will disappear. However, the reality is, they’re not going anywhere and I have to be proactive in this journey. My growth is my responsibility.
I’ll admit that I don’t have this whole thing figured out yet; however, here are some things I am currently using to set myself up for success for the remainder of 2018:
1. Take a step back. – this looks different for everyone. For me, it’s talking to the big homie, G-O-D, about the next steps.
2. Don’t focus on the past- it doesn’t have anything to do with what you can do in the present or future.
3. Don’t spend too much time in the future- it doesn’t exist yet and you’re jeopardizing your productivity.
4. “Lemons” represent opportunity- use that noggin to come up with new ways to change your situation, or at best, shift your perspective.
5. Practice gratitude – every day above ground is a good day and a fresh start. Be grateful for what you have now.
Remember, a lot can change in 6 months, so channel your inner Gucci Mane and lets make this lemonade.